75 m² riffle-pools, outdoor
A total of 40 outdoor ponds with a flow-pool structure are located at the station. There are 16 bigger ponds with a 30 m long stream section and 45 m2 pond in the middle, respectively. The ponds have a variety of solutions for adjusting incoming flow, water depth, and bed structure, and for incorporating automated fish monitoring systems. The ponds support benthic invertebrate communities, thus enabling a natural food supply. The flow-pool ponds are excellent for study designs that need adjacent near-natural stream and pool conditions.
- Size 75 m²
- Number: with cover 8 and without cover 8 pools
- PIT-antennas: 4 antennas in each covered pool
- Flow: 3-10 l/s
- System: gravity flow
- Adjustable depth: 30-120 cm (pool) ja 0-90 cm (riffle)
Research related to devices:
- Rodewald, P., Hyvärinen, P. & Hirvonen, H. 2011. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 20: 569-579.
- Janhunen, M., Kekäläinen, J., Kortet, R., Hyvärinen, P. & Piironen, J. 2011. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 103: 602-611.
Vainikka, A., Huusko, R., Hyvärinen, P., Korhonen, P., Laaksonen, T., Koskela, J., Vielma, J., Hirvonen, H. and Salminen, M. 2012. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 69: 1981-1993.